Thursday, March 3, 2011

If I Woke Up In A Psych Ward

I noticed this morning on Facebook that there’s one of those status games floating around. Normally I usually don’t pay attention to any of them. I rarely do the “re-post as your status” things because honestly, who cares? This one however, did catch my eye.

It said, “You and I wake up in a psychiatric ward together. Using 4 words, what would you say to me? NOTE: If you comment you must copy and past this to your status, so I may comment on yours as well.... Be a good sport and play along.... 4 words is harder then you think.”

I didn’t feel like commenting and re-posting, but I thought what an interesting thing to blog about! (And, really, isn’t it great when a blog topic just sort of falls into your lap?) The first thing I thought of when I read “wake up in a psych ward” was, “Some days I think I actually should be in a psych ward.” The second thing I thought was, (if I woke up in a psych ward I would say) “I like it here!” I mean, really. I’d be able to just relax and not have kids and all sorts of people nagging me and needing me (in a purely non-sexual way; I’m all for needing me sexually) and expecting the world from me. It would just be me. Maybe they’d let me have my books. My laptop? Probably not. Sure, there would be pesky doctors and nurses around, but think about the meds they could give me!

image credit

To say that I’ve been stressed is putting it lightly. Aside from the kids and family, there are tons of things pulling me in all directions. I think the biggest one right now is PTA. I’ve been Treasurer of my daughter’s elementary school PTA for two and a half years. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t like it anymore. The work load is immense and every time I turn around there’s another meeting being scheduled that I have to attend. I just got an email yesterday from one of our presidents (whom I love dearly and enjoy spending time with) but she was setting up our next board meeting. I thought to myself, “Didn’t we just finish our last board meeting?!” Well, yes and no. It was in the middle of February when we had it. So yes, we did just have one, but no because it’s already been two and a half weeks. And there was a City PTA meeting that I should have gone to, but skipped because I have reached the point where I just don’t give a shit about what City PTA is doing. (Because we have multiple elementary, middle and high schools, there is a City PTA that brings all the units together. It’s total bullshit in my opinion.) And I have a meeting of the whole next week. It’s really good that I don’t have a job outside of the house. I cannot wait for July to come because then I will no longer be an officer. Or even a member of PTA anymore. I’ve had it! I’m throwing in the towel. I have come to the conclusion that all the effort I spend fighting City PTA isn’t going to change how they operate and I don’t want to waste my time and sanity on it any more. And because I don’t like the way they operate, but refuse to change, I refuse to give them any more of my money. I decided that I am no longer going to shell out my membership dues to a group that doesn’t manage it wisely. And you know what? I’m proud of myself for saying enough is enough. Maybe they won’t miss my contributions next year because my daughter will be at middle school and most of them won’t know me. But if they knew me from my time at the elementary school, they would miss what I could have done for them. (I know it sounds like I’m tooting my own horn, but I really have made a difference in the PTA I’m in now.)

I’m also stressing today because of this Facebook group that I joined. Here I was thinking I could take it slow and gradually work myself into it. Nope. They threw me right into the deep end! Although, it’s probably a small role that I’ll be performing, but I want it to be right and I don’t have much time to research it. So I’ve been scouring my books and the internet on how to draw out evil spirits from an object. I have searched and searched and am coming up pretty empty. So I think I’m just going to have to make it up. Cross your fingers for me. I know once I get a couple of these storylines under my belt, I’ll feel more comfortable, but right now I’m freaking out. And I know that it’s supposed to be fun, but I’m such a perfectionist. I can’t help going to the extreme to make things right. That may explain why I get so stressed out about things all the time.

But anyway, back to me waking up in a psych ward. What would I say? (There’s no way I can limit myself to four words. That’s just not gonna happen.)

“Is this where I sign up?”

“I’d like some of that too.”

“I’m claustrophobic. Can you take the straight jacket off? I’ll just sit here. I promise.”

“Shock therapy isn’t really my thing, but a massage would be great.”

11 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have to cut stuff out so you can retain your sanity. If you're not happy, what's the point?

    If I woke up in a psych ward, I would ask if I could read a book. Lock me in a room by myself, I don't care! Just keep me supplied with books. I'll be quiet, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PTA just sounds like torture. My mom did it, too. She absolutely hated it, but she liked being the Room Mother in all of our classrooms, maybe because she got to directly interact with us when she did that.

    You're allowed to just make it up, so go for it! Maybe you could possibly post a small part of what you write? Or the whole thing? Maybe?

    I love your thoughts. "I'll just sit here. I promise." Made me laugh really, REALLY hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With my sisters help I have prepared an article using the 4 words about the life of my mother who spent time in pysch hospital at http://roominhouseblues.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-sister-ellie-savidge-started-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. My four words... "Can I have a lab coat?"

    I know it is more than 4 but I could have a lot of fun with a lab coat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen, "It's Kind of a Funny Story." That movie made me want to go to a Psych ward...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo to you to giving the PTA a go, and improving things, and *especially* for having the courage to say "enough is enough", dear heart.~

    Okay, four words in a psych ward...
    I'd likely want to mess with my roomates's head, so the first thing I'd say is, "I can read your thoughts."

    I know that's not four words, but if I'm in psych ward, then I likely didn't get there by following directions well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you're feeling so stressed. Remember, while it's nice that you help out, and your assistance is appreciated, you can say no. Don't let the feeling that you have to help be so strong that it's detrimental to your wellbeing or your ability to be there for your family.
    I'm secretary of our PTO and in charge of the Fun Night, so I feel ya on feeling overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Nice Vacation From Children". :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ms. caboo, that's all I'm looking for. A quiet place to read. :)

    Chanel, I'm glad I made you laugh. I was feeling pretty impulsive and silly and crazy from work overload. I still think it'd be a nice little break for me though.

    Joseph, I hope she was able to get the help she needed.

    Hero, I never thought about if I could pose as a doctor. That puts an interesting spin on things!

    Paul, I haven't seen it, but based on what you said maybe it's just as well.

    Kat, that made me laugh so hard! Brilliant!

    Megan, I have learned (finally!) to say no when people ask me to do too much. It was a lesson that took a long time to sink in, but it feels great to say it. I'm just burnt out.

    Julianna, that's exactly what I'm saying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would they even let us room together? I think we would probably be a danger to others...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Onion, I think that would be great fun if we shared a room. Just think of the trouble we could get in to! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading! Sit back, grab a drink and visit for while. I love the company.