Friday, January 28, 2011

Followers, Facebook, and Daimons???

First off, I have to say a huge thank you to all the people who stopped over to check out my blog and a warm welcome to those of you that decided to stick around and “follow” this little escape that I have created for myself. Thanks to Average Girl for hosting such a great party! I had so much fun and I found some really great blogs and really great people. I’m a little intimidated now because I feel like I have an expectation to live up to. I’ll do my best, but don’t be too harsh on me. It is a simple life I lead, although I do try to find the funny or ironic in something among my days. Some days are easier than others. *sigh*

 

I’m not a huge fan of Facebook for a number of reasons I won’t go into right now, but I am a huge fan of the games you can play on Facebook. I’m not kidding, if I could, I would be online all day, jumping from game to game. But alas, I cannot and have forced myself to pick one. One little game to keep me happy and yet still seeming to share my time and life with my Facebook friends. (Which are almost entirely either family members or friends that I still have face-to-face contact with.)

 

So, Frontierville, it is. If you’re not familiar and care to know, the premise of the game is that you’re a pioneer and clearing a homestead to turn into a town and a place for your family to join you. I love it because it combines a lot of gameplay features that I like. You have to raise animals, grow crops, build buildings, find collectibles, and complete missions. The downside, however, is that you have to have a certain number of neighbors (or Facebook friends that also play) to unlock certain items to continue completing missions. And that’s a huge downside for me because I don’t have a huge number of Facebook friends (I mean, really, we can’t all be superstars!) and even fewer actually play games. Grrr. Of course, you can use real money to unlock those items, but I refuse to get sucked into that scam! (Okay, so I know it isn’t really a scam, but it’s the principle. I hate that a free game is trying to trick you into spending money.)

 

But…if they would make it a stand alone game that you could buy in the store and play by yourself, I would buy it in a heartbeat! I think I’d even spend thirty bucks for it. (I can’t imagine it being worth more than that because if you play games like I tend to, it probably wouldn’t take too long to complete.) So instead of needing neighbors, it would just require a certain level to unlock items. I would have so much more fun with it that way and it would virtually eliminate my frustrations with the game. (At least, I think so.) And they would get their cash money out of me. It’s a win-win!

 

Then there is this group my sister has been wanting me to join ever since my hiatus from Facebook. It’s a role playing group (on Facebook. Isn’t everything these days?) based on characters from a book series. I started borrowing and reading the books just before Thanksgiving and wow, they are great! They’re the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon and the plots revolve around Greek Gods and Goddess, Daimons (a sort of vampire human looking creature that steals the souls from humans), Dark Hunters (soulless, immortals that are in charge of hunting Daimons and protecting humans), and the (usually) human women that can’t resist the sexy Dark Hunters. So on Facebook, people have adopted the persona of different characters and they interact online as if they are the character. I’m reluctant to try it out. For one thing, the concept behind how these beings all came to be is a little confusing and I don’t want to say something inaccurate. (And end up looking stupid.) Also, I don’t know any of the other people in this group besides my sister and I am very shy with people I don’t know. (Although I could treat it like I’m writing something here. I’ve really been trying to come out of my shell on the blogs.) And, these books are very sexual among the main characters. (I mean, they are romance novels.) Now my sister picked a minor character that doesn’t have that kind of role and I would have to do the same, but…I don’t know. It’s all very confusing. Who would I be and what would I do? But then again, it’s not like becoming your own person. You have to be a character that all these people are familiar with and already have a preset notion what it should be like. Can I live up to that without coming off as some lame person trying to fit in?

 

It’s kinda funny in a messed up way that I stress out over something that really doesn’t mean anything. But that’s just me, I guess. A worrier. But I’m interested to know if there are other people in groups like this and if these are questions or issues you’ve had to tackle as a part of a RPG. I’ll let you know how it goes if I decide to give it a try.

5 comments:

  1. I've been in your situation before, although never with Facebook as the medium. I've heard too many stories of Facebook games sucking the souls out of its players...not too long ago, there was a woman who played Farmville, and she ended up shaking her baby to death because it wouldn't stop crying, and it kept interrupting her game time.

    But anyways, I used to play Dungeons and Dragons quite often, and one of the biggest problems I found I had with roleplaying is just that; the roleplaying part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook games drive me nuts. My wife, sister, and mom all like them a lot and get me to start. I did the zoo game once, got to leve five and realized that none of the games have any real point or end. Not that it's bad that you like them, I just don't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lonely Suitor - Wow, that's an intense addiction. I'm glad I'm able to control myself better than that. And yeah, the roleplaying seems hard to me, but I don't know.

    @Paulsifer - I understand how people can get annoyed by the games. I tried the zoo one too and didn't like it. But I love computer games so when I find a good one, it's hard to quit! Thanks for coming over to check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about giving that series a read. Do you suggest them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jewels, yes, I definitely recommend them. It is a very good series to read. Entertaining, interesting (I like all the Greek mythology references), and they get my heart pumping! Some very hot scenes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading! Sit back, grab a drink and visit for while. I love the company.